Wednesday, October 8, 2014

You are What You Read

I have never been a reader.  I would always look at books, see the pictures and that would be the end.  However, recently God has been inviting me to read books/blogs/catholic magazines etc and he has been changing my understanding on many things and building up new insights and convictions in my life.  I look back at the past two years and I see how much Lord has helped me to grow spiritually as well as intellectually.  Thank you to the Holy Spirit in leading me and guiding me.  Especially as a mom it is hard to find time to read and with two children who are under 4 years of age really take up a lot of your time.  It was always my excuse because when am I supposed to read when I am surrounded by children 24/7 and with all the other responsibilities you have as a mom/wife/daughter.

This book really helps me to calm me down and help me change my style of raising and disciplining my children.  I am still not done with this book but in the process of finishing it.
I remember in 2012 a friend of mine sent me a link to a blog post of a young mother.  I read that post and it really inspired me.  So I did not stop with that one post, I went back and read all of her posts from when she started her blog back in 2007.  I did not read it in one day but within the next 6 months I made sure to read at least one post a day and I started to see how her life story and day to day little things she wrote started to change me.  Its funny last year her blog got the award for the most inspiring blog.  http://mychildiloveyou.blogspot.com/ .  It really is the most inspiring blog for a mom.  From reading her blog I found out how she made time to read with 8 children under 11 years of age.  She would read while she wait for her child to finish potty, or while she is cooking.  She said she will keep books everywhere, in the bathroom, kitchen, living room, basement so that wherever she is when she gets 5 mins or 10 mins she will pick up a book and read.  I was so amazed by this.  I also knew that if you have to raise that many children and home school them she does need to get some inspiration from somewhere and she said how reading books helped her in this area. By becoming a part of her life through her blog I started incorporating many of those ideas into my life.  I started getting convinced by the many good things she wrote.

This book changed my prayer life and my way of praying in itself.  God really touched me through this book.
Today even though I don't read many books, I do find time to read good books at least one or two a month.  I am so amazed how much a good catholic book can change you, your attitudes, change your lifestyle itself,  inspire you, challenge you and encourage you to be more than what you are right  now.  My prayer life and my relationships with people have changed.  I am able to bring changes everyday in my life.  I am able to see the joy in raising children and building up my relationship with my husband.

Great book for moms who have preschoolers or even older kids.  Gave me great ideas

I also like to share this article with you which I read recently.  It would be great if you can read this.  http://www.setonmagazine.com/catholic/spirituality/you-are-what-you-read-how-spiritual-reading-is-the-healthier-option  It would only take few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment