Tuesday, August 4, 2015

St. Maria Goretti's Feast day

In the month of July we celebrated few feast days and one of them was St. Maria Goretti’s feast day.  There are so many feast days in a month and yet I don’t get to celebrate all of them.  I also don’t pick and choose which saint’s feast days I celebrate.  There is always an inspiration I feel within myself on some feast days which encourages me to celebrate it in small and big ways.  I always keep some cake mixes stored up so that way whenever I get this inspiration to celebrate a feast, I can always make a cake or cup cakes to make it special.  


St. Maria Goretti’s feast was one of those inspirations and we prayed during our morning prayer in a special way to this young saint who stood up for her purity.  In the evening we made cup cakes.  Actually George made the cup cakes himself.  I just helped him with few things. 




 Since I had the craft items needed to make Lilies as a sign of her purity, we tried to make them as well. 







 Once the cup cakes were done we came together as a family to pray to the saint and we had cakes together.   It was a simple celebration yet meaningful for the little ones. 





Last week I came to know that St. Maria Goretti's  incorruptible body is being brought to one of our churches close by and we will get to go see her.  What a blessing, I thought to myself that we get to see her body and pray to her in person.  I felt like it was a special blessing from this dear saint for honoring her by celebrating her feast day. 

This is not the first time it has happened to me that when I celebrate a feast day I see very visible signs of blessings from that particular saint.  Two years ago after I celebrated St. John Bosco’s feast day something like this happened.  The first Syro Malabar bishop that was appointed for the diocese of Australia was visiting our parish and his name was Bishop Bosco.  It was a great blessing to have him celebrate mass for us and spend some time with the CCD teachers of our parish.  As he was speaking to us CCD teachers, Sony was holding Anna who was only 9 months old at that time.  Bishop Bosco came and just carried her and held her in his arms as he was talking to us.  When he was done one of the priests introduced him to us and he gave us a special blessing and he offered us a prayer card of St. John Bosco.  I felt like it was also a gift from the saint to have the Bishop who is named after John Bosco to give us a blessing and also a prayer card of this Saint.  Not only that he carried my little girl in his arms all that time while he spoke.  Which bishop does that?? haha

I truly believe that these are visible signs that they sent us when we honor them,  reminding us that we are in communion with them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment