Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Atrium

I came to know about atrium two years ago from a blog I was reading.  The mother who wrote the blog was explaining about how her children were attending atrium and its influence on their lives.  I had no idea what atrium meant at that time which was a good thing because I went and explored a little bit more about it. This opened up a whole new avenue which I never knew before.  

His favorite part is washing dishes.  

I would have never known that he had interest in washing dishes if it wasnt for the atr



The atrium was organized by the Catechesis of Good Shepherd. It was started by Sofia Cavalletti in the year 1954.  She and her friend jointly created a teaching methodology to introduce Catechesis to children based in their profound religious intuition.  This method is based in the self teaching of Maria Montessori and allows kids to reinforce their relationship with God by using all their senses and freely reacting to His presence.  

Washing hands






How beautiful right??  I fell in love with this the second I read about it and I realized that this is something I would love to introduce to my children.  As a parent I know and believe that I don't need to worry much about my child learning English, Math or Science lessons because all the opportunities given through the schools and libraries in America for them to master in these subjects.  But one thing which is totally removed from our entire school system and society is God and Faith.  





Learning about the Liturgical Calendar and colors

Prayer table which the kids get to  arrange

I want to give the first priority to God and Faith not just in my life but also in the life of my children.  This could start with telling them small little stories and guiding every step throughout the day to helping them determine good and bad from a Christian perspective. 
Atrium is a religious formation combining Montessori methodology and the liturgy of the Church.  How perfect it is then for our children to be exposed to something as beautiful as an Atrium!  Children gather in an “atrium”, which is a room specially prepared with simple yet beautiful materials.




Flower arranging table



Each week, the session starts with a short presentation of a story from scripture and materials like a model of an altar, sacristy cabinet, baptismal font, and various small images, which correspond to the parables and narratives from the Bible.
A little child, too young to read, needs another way to ponder a biblical passage or a prayer from the liturgy by working with these materials.  I love this program and I wish this was available when I was growing up.

Altar


Good Shepherd explained



Children age 3 – 5 are put in one group. I wanted to send George last year but I was not able to find an atrium close by on time.  This year I really tried hard to send him to the one which was organized by our homeschooling group.  But by the time I registered, it was too late.  I tried several parishes and finally was able to find one which is bit far.  It is on Saturday mornings from 8:00 – 9:45.  I was worried it would be too much for a 4 year old to be woken up so early on a Saturday to go to an atrium all year long.  I was also concerned whether he would even be interested.  To my surprise George loves the atrium and he looks forward to it.  Yes, it is hard for him to wake up at 7 in the morning but he willingly goes to it every Saturday. 



I am so glad I made this decision even though it was hard in the beginning because I was doubtful whether this is the right thing for George. But when you are doing it for the sole purpose of giving God to your child you see a special grace and an interest even from your child’s side.  Sofia Cavalletti says " if we want to help the child draw nearer to God, we should, with patience and courage...seek to go always closer to the vital  nucleus of things. This requires study and prayer.  The child himself will be our teacher...if we know how to observe him."








No comments:

Post a Comment