Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Celebrating St. George's feast day

We had a lot of fun celebrating a name day on April 23rd.  Do you celebrate name days??  The first time I started celebrating name days was last year with George.  This year I wanted to make it bit more special and also teach George more about the Saint to build up a special devotion to his patron saint whom he is named after.

He was given the name George after his grand dad (Sony's father).  It is also his great grandfather's name. Last year we bought a small statue of St. George slaying the dragon so that George can pray to him everyday.  One of the coolest things about the story of this Saint is that he slayed a dragon (whether it's a legend or not) unlike the many other Saints we have heard about.  I think as a child this is what fascinates George the most.

I decided to make a dragon cake this year to celebrate the feast day inspired by Charlotte.  I never thought the cake would turn out like it was pictured here in the one hour time frame I had.  We had our couples prayer group that day and I was finishing up the cake right before everyone came.  We were also celebrating one of George's friends birthday at the prayer group so the cake served two purposes and due to that reason I wanted to make sure the cake turned out right.  All I could do was just pray that it turns out good and the Lord answered my prayers.  What do you think?





I had also taken this book called Saint George and the Dragon from the library and it started off like this: 

 In the days when monsters and giants and fairy folk lived in England, a noble knight was riding across a plain.  He wore heavy armor and carried an ancient silver shield marked with a red cross. 

What an awesome book!! George and I loved it.  The pictures were just amazing.  I never knew a book like this existed.  Thanks to other moms who blog and share the information so that myself and other moms could enjoy it with our children. We celebrated the feast day and the birthday with our couples prayer group. There are 6-7 young families that are in the prayer group.  They all joined in for the celebration.  I wanted to get some cocktail swords but couldn't get them on time.  So we just used normal knives and they kids had such a blast.  We specially prayed to St. George to give us the strength and courage to withstand the temptations from devil. 






St. George - Pray for us

No comments:

Post a Comment