Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Ways of my Mother

I listened to an interview which was on Shalom TV(https://www.shalomus.org/television.php) by a priest about the song he recently composed.  The words went kind of like this:  "I remember those days when I walked holding on to my mother's fingertips and how she helped me make the sign of the cross,  she helped me say the name Jesus for the first time..." and it goes on.  

This made me remember my childhood days.  My mother was also a very strong woman of Faith.  She was a housewife and raised all of us in such a strong catholic faith.  What I remember the most about her is how she would take care of each one us so patiently.  I have never heard her raise her voice at me or anyone or acted upon her anger.  She was always full of love and patience.  After going through the whole day of cooking and cleaning, I remember her so tired but she would never end the day without bringing all of us children together in family prayer.  Our family prayer always had rosary and a time of thanksgiving.  Each one of us get a chance to thank Jesus.  I think this took away my shame and fear of praying in public.  There were some days where we all get to show our talents in front of my parents and siblings which was really amazing. Now I look back and I see how happy I used to be and how I never had any stage fright when I grew up to be doing anything in front of few people.  The fear and shame was taken away from me through these beautiful moments with my family members.  





I remember my mom telling me how I used to stay crying all night and she had to put me on her chest and sit in the kitchen and that is the only way I would fall asleep.  She would stay there all night and sleep sitting on a chair.  Even after having these sleepless nights, she never missed her morning mass.  Back then in India we did not have a car so she would wake up early morning and walk to church and run back so that she can make breakfast and lunch for all my older siblings and dad.  There were no cereal breakfasts in India.  That would have been a lot easier :)  She has to make full course Indian breakfasts for all of us.  



I never heard her complain about anything she had to deal with.  If I were to complain about anything she would always remind me of those who were less fortunate than us, those who were poorer than us and that stopped me from complaining and was able to thank Jesus for what I had.  She always taught me to hold on to Jesus every time I went through sufferings in my life.  I always remember her either praying rosary or just praising Jesus while she was in the kitchen.  

She loved each one of us and sacrificed everything for our happiness and joy, and beyond everything she put the seed of faith in us which grew and made us what we are today.  She showed us that clinging on to God and trusting in him is the way to achieve anything in this world.  

I'm able to appreciate all that she did so much more now because I have become a wife and a mother myself. I can understand it a lot better now.  I wish I could raise my children without getting angry or impatient.  I wish to be calm and gentle after having a hectic and tiring day.  I am not anywhere close to what my mom is but she is always the biggest example for me.  




The reason why I thought of writing about my mom is mainly because the sacrifices and faith filled life that she led laid a foundation for our family.  We were able to grow up in a family like this which formed our faith with Jesus as the center of our lives.  This reminds me now how important it is for me to show an example like this in my very own growing family which will eventually form the very strong foundation for this family. 

We learn a lot from our mothers even though fathers are very much part of our lives.  Especially in the very early years of a child a mother is more involved than a father.  They need a mothers nurturing love to sustain in the early years.  As a mother the Lord has entrusted these children under our care so that we show them what God's love is like.  To be awake with them in the night, to console them when they cry, to be patient with them when they pull a tantrum, all this is building up a trust, security, love, caring nature etc in a child which plays a vital role when they become an adult.  



My mother's love for me helped me to imagine what the Love of God is like.  I just hope and pray that I will be able to show my children a glimpse of God's love too.  






No comments:

Post a Comment